Lot 1 at Sotheby’s upcoming wine auction in March features 12 superlative bottles from leading wine producers as well as an open passport to visit the 12 European estates
Have you ever wanted a private tour of the Grand Chai (Great Barrel Hall) at Chateau Mouton Rothschild in Bordeaux, or a visit to Sassicaia’s rolling vineyards in Tuscany? How about a saunter through Joseph Drouhin’s 13th century cellar in Burgundy? These are just a few of the experiences that the winning bidder of an upcoming auction lot at Sotheby’s will have access to.
Available for the first time on the global fine wine market, this exclusive lot includes 12 bottles of wine sourced from some of the world’s finest wine producing families in France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and Spain. The 12 participating vineyards are part of the Primum Familia Vini (PFV), an international association of family-owned wineries. Each year, PFV members select one of their finest vintages to produce for 12 individually numbered, limited edition cases. These cases are usually auctioned at the PFV’s own events, but for the first time Sotheby’s will offer Case Number 1 of 12 from this year’s release, which in addition to these 12 fine wines, includes the rare Primum Familia Vini passport.
Related: The Best Bordeaux 2017 Wines To Try Now, According To Our Resident Wine Expert
The passport is the real star of the show, as it grants the winning bidder a single visit to each of the 12 PFV members’ estates, which include Baron Philippe de Rothschild (Mouton), Champagne Pol Roger, Marchesi Antinori, Joseph Drouhin and Tenuta San Guido (the producer of Super Tuscan favourite Sassicaia), among others. On arrival at each estate, the buyer (along with up to three family members or friends) will be hosted by a member of the wine-producing family for lunch or dinner. Given the current uncertainty around travel, potential bidders will be relieved to know that the passport does not expire and this unique collection of experiences can be redeemed at any point in the future. What are you waiting for?
The 2020 Limited Edition PFV case contains the following wines:
• Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Auslese Goldkapsel 2018, Weingut Egon Müller
• Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill 2008, Pol Roger Champagne
• Montrachet Marquis de Laguiche 2017, Joseph Drouhin
• Vega Sicilia Único 2010, Tempos Vega Sicilia
• Solaia 2016, Marchesi Antinori
• Mas de la Rosa 2016, Familia Torres
• Sassicaia 2017, Tenuta San Guido
• Château Haut-Brion 2009, Domaine Clarence Dillon
• Hommage à Jacques Perrin Château de Beaucastel 2009, Famille Perrin
• Château Mouton Rothschild 2015, Baron Philippe de Rothschild
• Graham’s The Stone Terraces 2017 Vintage Port, Symington Family Estates
• Gewurztraminer Sélection de Grains Nobles “S” 2010, Famille Hugel
The Primum Familiae Vini Limited Edition Case 1 of 12 and Passport will be offered as Lot 1 at Sotheby’s Wine’s Vine | The Primum Familiae Vini & A Classic Collection of European and New World Icons sale. Bids start from £30,000 and can be made now. The live auction will take place on 29 March 2021 at 10am BST / 5pm HKT.
Related: A Bottle Of Ultra-Rare Jay-Z Cognac Has Fetched US$52K At Auction