Business Insider SA
Sep 29, 2020, 02:01 PM
The Orpheus & The Raven range includes a Chenin Blanc, the 42 Red Blend, Pinotage Nr. 7 and the Last Swansong Gewürztraminer.
- Labels from the wine brand Orpheus & The Raven have been judged among the best in the world by a UK-based publication.
- The labels feature baroque-style sketches which were inspired by Greek mythology.
- Recently, a South African gin won a global design competition.
- For more articles, go to www.businessinsider.co.za.
The labels of a South African wine range have just been judged among the best in the world.
The wine brand Orpheus & The Raven has been shortlisted for the annual award for Best Design & Packaging for Wine by The Drinks Business, a UK-based publication which covers the global beer, wine and spirits industries. Only four other brands were shortlisted in this category, and the winner will be announced next month.
The Orpheus & The Raven range is owned by South African winemaker Etienne Louw and graphic designer Brenden Schwartz, of BRAVO Design in Cape Town. BRAVO designed the labels, which feature hand-drawn, baroque-style sketches in the style of 16th century German artist Albrecht Dürer. The labels were inspired by the Greek play Orpheus in the Underworld, and each feature scenes with Orpheus and his sidekick, Raven. The personal experiences of Schwartz and Louw are also depicted on the labels.
42 Orpheus & The Raven, a red blend.
With only a single wine vat to their name, Louw and Schwartz launched a wine-making company called Vinoneers in 2010. Vinoneers eventually launched the brand Orpheus & The Raven, which now includes four wines, a Chenin Blanc, the 42 Red Blend, Pinotage Nr. 7 and the Last Swansong Gewürztraminer.
The chenin blanc label.
Produced from grapes grown on various farms in Stellenbosch and Durbanville, the wines are on sale from around R300 to R500.
Last year, South Africa’s Muti Gin was awarded first prize in the category for best design in clear spirits at an event in Chicago. The South African gin brand beat 1,500 other entries from 20 countries to win a top prize at the Dieline design awards in the US.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Christmas in Cape Town and Durban for New Year: Here’s what you’ll pay for flights booked now
- SA’s worst ever earthquake was in the Western Cape – but it wasn’t typical
- SA websites are tracking you – here’s how some top sites stack up
- SA could build 95,000 wooden houses a year – here’s why it should, according to a new study
- Tennis’ biggest stars are unhappy with the French Open’s new balls that ‘you wouldn’t give to a dog to chew’
All JSE data is delayed by at least 15 minutes
DAILY BUSINESS INSIDER UPDATE
Get the best of our site delivered to your inbox every day.